Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Taking to the Trail III (b)
Finally put the pack on today, but have whittled it down to just over thirty pounds with full water bottles and food bag. I made myself take the nine-mile trail in Island Lake SGA and was pleased to feel that I could have done twelve without too much discomfort. The much lighter pack really helps.
It was a spooky day. When I stepped off at noon the entire landscape seemed smoky. For the first half of the hike the bugs weren't bad because little breezes kept them confused, but lunch at the four-and-a-half-mile picnic area was a busy affair. The breezes died completely and I would have put on my head net if I had had it. When I went back into the woods it got worse! I should have recognized the frenzied insect activity as a warning of serious rain, but I was too busy flailing. When it did start, I was protected by a section of multi-sized Maples. Then, finally realizing it was serious, I had to rustle to get out my poncho, then learn how to use it, as it's a new one.

Not much wildlife today. These turkeys were roosting in a row on this fence at a rental cottage that the trail runs behind. They were totally uncooperative, so I could only snap as quickly as I could.

Actually, on my late evening walk through Southfield last Friday I saw much more - and bigger - game. On the farm next to the Civic-Center and its golf course, I watched a doe and five fauns reaping the labors of several local gardeners who rent plots there. Then just a block away from the I-696 freeway, a nervous young buck moved just enough for me to see him and then froze against a natural-fence background and become all but invisible. Too dark for pictures, but a great treat. Today's flowers are surprisingly different from last week. The goldenrod are thinking about retirement and the queen-Anne's lace have completely closed in on themselves. On the other hand, this mallow was in its full glory, playing host to a large mason bee and this rather handsome fellow.

No comments: